Community Forum

Share your comments and insights here!

Through exchanging our experiences of trauma and resilience, we strengthen each other and learn how to build a better world.

7 Comments

1. Teresa May on December 6, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Carolyn Yoder, what a powerful and greatly needed website and resource for countless people across the planet today! In this day and age of amazing internet connection; the paradoxical disconnection to ourselves, each other and the environment remains a staggering short circuit in need of healing. In our evolutionary development where it was assumed that we were evolving up and out of medieval acts of barbarism and global technological weapons of mass destruction; we can sadly see that the roots of this type of mentality and the resulting trauma have not been reduced in a ‘modern’ world. Rather, the shape shifter of this type of pathology is alive and well today. And, we need deep understanding of the foundational patterns and resulting worldviews which allow for this type of pathology to be so resilient and thrive in this world today. Carolyn Yoder, by teaching us how to deal with trauma and recover from its all encompassing impact…you are helping to heal a world filled with people in need of concrete tools and understanding to deal with this storm of destruction; so that this pathology can be healed and not keep repeating itself. Bless you for your important life’s work.

• Carolyn on January 4, 2016 at 7:05 pm

Thank you, Teresa, for your encouraging comments.

2. Orv Gingerich on January 5, 2016 at 1:17 pm

I am pleased to see the STAR resources available on line. I am working with MCC in Nigeria and two of my friends have been lost family members in the violence perpetrated by Boko Haram and their lives have been deeply affected by this experience. I have spoken with them about STAR but there was no way they could access a STAR workshop and the trauma workshops offered by MCC Nigeria are not available to them. The have sent them the link to the on line resources and STAR course. Thank you so much for offering this opportunity for addressing trauma to people who cannot access a STAR workshop.

3. Aubrie Lehr on October 31, 2018 at 10:16 am

I found your site through your post on voting and I would love to serve as a counselor overseas or at the border someday (my undergrad is in Spanish). I currently am finishing my master’s in school counseling and am going on to get my LPC after that. Did you serve with any specific organization doing trauma work overseas? Thanks for your insight and your amazing post.

• Peace After Trauma on October 25, 2020 at 7:36 pm

Dear Aubrie,

You left a comment on my website in October 2018! And I just now am seeing it. I do apologize. You had read my post, Seven reasons why I’m a Christian against abortion who doesn’t vote pro-life.” And you had asked about the organization under which I did trauma work overseas. When I lived overseas, I did a private practice, worked a bit for UNHCR, and had contracts with various local organizations to do workshops. When I was in the US doing training with STAR (Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience), various participants from overseas taking the training would contract for training to be held in their own countries. So it was actually a variety of organizations who sponsored my work.

A good way to get into the work is to get your degree and license, then take as much specialized training in trauma as you can. In the process, you’ll encounter organizations that often have opportunities to do humanitarian work (e.g.EMDRIA, ACEP/humanitarian section, etc). A number of religious organizations have divisions that do trauma work overseas.

But the truth is, the world has changed so much in the last couple years and trauma work is so needed in the US. I do wish you well! Carolyn Yoder

4. Kari Nash on February 18, 2020 at 11:32 am

I found my way to you through your article posted on FB about voting. As a trauma survivor, healer, and Christian, I applaud you for your wisdom, love, and bravery. Love is our strongest force, and we have access to an endless supply. Thank you, and keep it up!!!! On another note, I found my gateway to healing through skydiving. Long, interesting, and spiritual journey.

5. Lynda on February 28, 2020 at 9:40 pm

I read your article about We All Have Blood on our Hands. You might want to watch

Life After Abortion
    (50)
    1h 46min
    7+
    This documentary takes an honest look at the undeniable impact abortion has on a woman.
    Trauma comes in lots of forms even women who thought an abortion would solve their problems.

https://www.theblaze.com/contributions/abortion-does-not-preserve-a-womans-life-it-preserves-her-lifestyle

Leave a Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.